Friday, April 24, 2009

Grandma's Hands


My 83-year-old mother has been crocheting afghans for at least 40 years.  She has made one for nearly every baby born into our immense family.  (We're Irish - hence, the immenseness!)   Last year, my mother experienced a mild stroke.  She is almost 100% recovered, and she has started to crochet again.  It isn't easy for her, because she has the usual problems associated with age - her eyes are weak, circulation is poor, and she doesn't always remember things.  But, she remembers how to crochet, and it is good to see her doing it again.

It occurred to me that I have never documented her work through photographs - except for photos of babies laying on her handiwork.  Yesterday, I took several shots of her flying fingers, trying to get a shot that wasn't too blurry.  At ISO 100, f3.5, with light from the window behind her, most of the shots were still blurred.  But I like this one.

I wonder who will be the next lucky baby to receive one of my mom's treasures?

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! There is so much beauty in old age, and you captured it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carla: a beautiful image! :-)
    (I also have an image named "hands working" on my photoblog and I'd love to hear your opinion on this my image. thanks a lot.)

    ReplyDelete